I’m so excited! The S4L Book Club is born. I’ll lead the first discussion in November, and since we don’t yet have a system for book selection, unless we ultimately choose to go with Leader’s Choice, I’m just going to pick. (Please post book recommendations in a comment or send an email to mail [AT] funkandweber [DOT] com–my address is in the sidebar, you know.)
At first, I was going to pick a book I’d already read and knew was good, but I changed my mind. When you’re the Leader, feel free to do this, but I’m throwing caution to the wind. This time around. I want the adventure of going in blind, discovering the book together, and seeing what happens.
So…my pick for November is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I know it’s available as an audio book in addition to print, so Stitchers thread your needles and tune in.
My reasons for this pick:
- I find the title irresistible.
- A book club is born rather suddenly in the story. (Huh. Imagine that.)
- The quote that opens most blurbs I’ve seen is this: “. . . I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” I think we’re perfect readers.
- Annie Barrows writes the Ivy + Bean series, which I know and like.
- Mary Ann and Annie are an aunt and niece writing team. (Psst, Favorite Niece!)
- I can get my mitts on it quickly!
So there it is. The first S4L Book Club book pick. Discussion will begin November 1. I’m aiming for a whole month of discussion and related book-play, but we’ll see what happens.