This bookmark-finishing style will be discussed in the May Needlework Nutshell. Subscription box in the sidebar. Are you wondering how long I can keep this up? Me, too.
I’ve been encouraging you read, read, read and stitch, stitch, stitch since March 19. Now I’m encouraging you to write.
I saw that! No eye-rolling allowed. What if in exchange for writing you were given a chance to win a trip in Alaska that would take you to the very lodge I wrote about this past winter as well as a couple of others? What if I told you you could bring three friends with you?
Uh-huh. Those eyes are big, but they’re no longer rolling.
Alaska Wildland Adventures is getting in on the Web-contest fun with an essay contest, offering an Alaska Vacation For Four as the grand prize, with stays at Kenai Riverside Lodge, Kenai Backcountry Lodge, and Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, and including all meals, ground transportation, and guided activities. Additional prizes include discounted trips. Alaska trip prize details here.
All you have to do is submit an essay of no more than 500 words explaining why you and your family/friends should be selected for this trip. Alaska trip contest rules here.
Since I really, really, really want someone reading this blog to win, I’m going to start the brainstorming. I would guess what you want to do is entertain the judges (I have no inside info on what judges are looking for, sorry) and demonstrate a strong desire to see this part of Alaska.
- Maybe the trip can be a honeymoon or a second honeymoon.
- Maybe your parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
- Maybe you’ve studied marine biology, and it’s your lifelong dream to see Dall porpoises.
- Maybe you’ll bring disadvantaged inner-city kids on the trip with you.
- Maybe your husband has learned to walk on a newly-acquired prosthetic foot and you want to test his skill on a hike to Russian River Falls to see the salmon jumping.
- Maybe you’re in a vacation rut, going to the same place year after year, and you need a hand getting out of that rut.
- Maybe you’ll use the trip to reunite with long-lost friends.
- Maybe you’ve been reading this blog for ages, and you’re dying to meet Jen and Mike in person. You can explain how you hope AWA will invite us to come along on a segment of the trip!
- Maybe you haven’t had a vacation in ten years.
- Maybe your daughter wants to learn about eco-tourism and saving the polar ice caps.
- Maybe you’re in search of birds for your life list.
- Maybe your son is a budding nature and wildlife photographer.
Does that get the creative juices flowing?
You have from now to May 22 to craft your essay and submit it to the contest. Please drop a line to tell me if/when you enter. I’ll cross my fingers for you.
The retail value of the eight-day grand prize Alaska vacation package for four is over $12,000. So what do you think–can you write a 500-word essay?
Disclaimer: Mike is working for this company. I have worked for this company. The people associated with this company are our friends. What do I get from advertising the lodges and contest? Satisfaction that I’m turning you on to something wildly fun and interesting.